Journal of Health Sciences & Research

Register      Login

VOLUME 11 , ISSUE 1 ( January-June, 2020 ) > List of Articles

RESEARCH ARTICLE

Assessment of the Level of Anxiety Related to Dental Treatment among Undergraduate Students in a Dental College of Bengaluru, Karnataka, India: An Online Pilot Survey

Anjan Giriraju, Jeggugadde Narendra Kumar Ananya, Megna Raju, Venkilat Kannan Ashli

Keywords : Dental anxiety, Dental attitude, Dental pain, Dental undergraduate students, Psychosocial factors

Citation Information : Giriraju A, Ananya JN, Raju M, Ashli VK. Assessment of the Level of Anxiety Related to Dental Treatment among Undergraduate Students in a Dental College of Bengaluru, Karnataka, India: An Online Pilot Survey. J Health Sci Res 2020; 11 (1):6-11.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10042-1090

License: CC BY-NC 4.0

Published Online: 23-11-2020

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2020; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.


Abstract

Background: Anxiety is an unpleasant feeling that occurs when something undesirable is going to happen, while fear is the expecting threat from an identifiable source. Aim and objective: To assess the level of anxiety related to dental treatment among undergraduate students in a dental College of Bengaluru. Materials and methods: For data collection, an online digital survey App, namely, Surveymonkey.com was used. At the outset, the said App was installed. A questionnaire containing four relevant questions was prepared and sent to the respondents/participants, that is, all the undergraduate dental students of a dental college in Bengaluru through e-mail. Results: In the survey carried out among 334 respondents, 75.08% were female and remaining 24.92% were male. There were seven age categories based on year of study (1st year to IV-year BDS). The seven age categories were distributed as follows: 18 years of age (8.08%), 19 years of age (22.46%), 20 years of age (27.54%), 21 years of age (21.56%), 22 years of age (11.68%), 23 years of age (3.59%), and 24 years of age (5.09%). Further, the percentage of respondents based on year of study is as follows: First year BDS (27.03%), second year (33.33%), third year (19.52%), and fourth year (20.12%). The results revealed that the dental students experience less fear and anxiety during dental treatment due to their familiarity and awareness toward the subject.


PDF Share
PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.